TikTok 5 April Deadline Looms
The fate of TikTok in the US remains uncertain, with users anxiously awaiting a potential ban just days away.
The short-form video app is yet to secure a new owner, with a looming deadline of 5 April for ByteDance to sell its US operations.
The proposed sale of TikTok presents a complex technological and geopolitical dilemma, initially driven by concerns over national security and the possibility of Chinese government surveillance—a claim ByteDance has consistently denied.
Although TikTok was briefly banned under then President Joe Biden in January, current President Donald Trump extended the deadline, emphasizing that a ban would be enforced if a deal is not reached by the set date.
With 170 million Americans relying on the app for entertainment, community, and even income, its closure would have significant ramifications.
Still, there is cautious optimism among users that a deal will materialise before the deadline.
Trump has expressed a commitment to keeping the app operational by securing a buyer for the platform.
Trump Says TikTok Has Many Potential Buyers
As TikTok’s future in the US remains uncertain, President Trump has confirmed that the US government is in active discussions with potential buyers about the platform’s sale.
Speaking aboard Air Force One in early March, Trump revealed that his administration is in talks with four groups, all of which are being considered favourably.
Suggesting multiple potential avenues for a deal, Trump remarked:
“A lot of people want it.”
Among the interested parties is Frank McCourt, the former owner of the Los Angeles Dodgers, with Oracle and Microsoft having expressed interest in the past, though their current involvement is unclear.
Trump explained:
“We have a lot of potential buyers, there’s tremendous interest in TikTok. The decision is going to be my decision.”
In January, Trump questioned the motivations behind TikTok’s closure:
“Is it that important for China to be spying on young people? On young kids watching crazy videos?"
Last week, he hinted that China’s involvement in the deal may be necessary, suggesting possible reductions in tariffs to facilitate an agreement.
One of the leading bidders is a consortium of investors, including Susquehanna International Group and General Atlantic, with private equity firm Blackstone also exploring a potential minority stake in TikTok’s US operations.
White House Meeting to Be Held on TikTok’s Possible Investors
President Trump is set to review a final proposal regarding TikTok on Wednesday, as the app approaches its 5 April deadline to secure a non-Chinese buyer or face a potential US ban, according to a White House official.
A meeting at the Oval Office will include key figures such as Vice President JD Vance, Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick, National Security Advisor Mike Waltz, and Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard, the official confirmed.
ByteDance Prepares for Possible TikTok Shutdown
Perplexity, an artificial intelligence (AI) search engine company, has recently put forward its case to acquire TikTok, joining the growing list of potential buyers after weeks of speculation about a possible merger.
On its blog, the company wrote:
“Perplexity is singularly positioned to rebuild the TikTok algorithm without creating a monopoly, combining world class technical capabilities with little tech independence.”
Former Los Angeles Dodgers owner Frank McCourt has also shown interest, while tech giants Oracle and Microsoft remain in the mix, though the specifics of their involvement are still unclear.
Vance, who has been overseeing the deal, indicated last week that an agreement would likely be reached to ensure the app remains operational for its US users.
The vice president said in an interview with NBC News:
“There will almost certainly be a high level agreement that I think satisfies our national security concerns, allows there to be a distinct American TikTok enterprise.”
Trump has also suggested the possibility of a US sovereign wealth fund acquiring part or all of TikTok, though details are scarce.
Despite this, ByteDance, TikTok’s parent company, has maintained that it would rather shut down the app in the US than sell it, adding further complexity to the negotiations as the company continues discussions with the Trump administration about alternative solutions to a full divestiture.